Pages

Thursday, July 24, 2014

Besieged



Israeli soldiers at Gaza border on July 23rd
photo credit: Mendy Henchman/Flash90
 Today is the 17th day of fighting between Israel and Hamas. Israel continues to bombard the Gaza Strip in hopes of halting rocket fire and destroying a network of tunnels used by Hamas to smuggle weapons into Israel. Meanwhile, the death toll rises on both sides.

As I read the news, what strikes me about Israel is their unwavering courage. They stand and fight for their land while surrounded by nations who want to wipe them off the face of the earth. I am inspired because, like Israel, I fight battles of my own.

The bombardment I endure is of a different nature than that of Israel. The weapons threatening me are not missiles or tunnels; yet they take their best shot at me and attempt to burrow their way into my soul:

Discouragement.
Disappointment.
Hopelessness.
Regret.

Like emotional terrorists, these enemies attack without warning and without mercy. As I feel them closing in on me I cower in fear. I retreat, withdrawing from the world, and try to hide myself in a cave of isolation. But then I hear the Lord calling to me,

Get up, my child. Get up and fight.

Reluctantly, tentatively, I get up off the floor, reach for my sword and begin reading. The words are written about Israel but they are mine to claim as well:
  • “’For I know the plans I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.’” Jeremiah 29:11

  • “You will arise and have compassion on Zion, for it is time to show favor to her; the appointed time has come.” Psalm 102:13
  • “You are awesome, O God, in your sanctuary; the God of Israel gives power and strength to his people.” Psalm 68:35
  • “…no weapon formed against you shall prosper…” Isaiah 54:17


I feel new strength begin to arise in me. But it’s not my own strength, for that was exhausted long ago. This is something coming from outside myself, or more accurately, from a place deep within me yet is not me. It is the same strength that raised Jesus from the dead and the same strength that has protected the Jewish people for the last 4000 years. 

It is the Lord Himself.

And I remember that – like Israel - I am not alone in my battle. There is One who fights with me and for me. I have a God who is bigger than my enemies. He wants my soul to prosper and gain victory over the things with which I am contending.

But the story gets even better. My victories are not just for my benefit, and neither are Israel’s. They are a sign to the world that our God is big and powerful and faithful. They are an invitation for the whole world to get to know the God who saves. Indeed, at the cross all men – Palestinian and Israeli, Jew and Gentile - are invited to discover the salvation found in Jesus Christ, and in doing so to become one holy people.

What about you? Are you in the midst of a battle? Look to the promises written for you in God’s Word, and arise in new strength. Watch as the Lord makes you a sign of His faithfulness to those around you.



No comments:

Post a Comment